Saturday, October 17, 2009

a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

Every day a different type of friendship enters our lives. Whether its a best friend or small friend sometimes we don't realize how important they really are. From the person who just says 'hello' in the morning at work, even though they may not know everything about your life, they still have a significant impact. When you start to see it, you realize how many "friends" you really have.

I am not Craig or Kris, sorry to disappoint you. But I was giving my dad a hard time for not writing a blog for so long. He asked me for some ideas for inspiration, I told him he should write about friendship. Today we all were sitting around discussing how much fun we had with a family friend , so I thought it would be an appropriate theme. He told me that I could go ahead and write it so here it is. This is Kalista, their 19 year old daughter and this is my advice...

Insecurity is one of the leading problems in all of us. How many times a day do we worry about what other people think? Or even though your still not in high school, everyone has the occasional thought of jealousy over who has more friends around them in their lives. Back in High School it"s called the popular group, and later in life it is your circle of friends or not. The point of all of this is to say friendship in small ways can help you with your insecurities if we let it.

I don't know how many times any of you have ever had the feeling of 'I have no friends' but every so often maybe as a teenager it may have crossed your mind a time or two. Even though in a lot of cases that isn't the truth, I myself have had this feeling a time or two during some time in my life but looking at the term 'friendship' at another angle changed it all.

Most of my life I have seen my mom and dad be surrounded by so many friends. Which I always feel they are so lucky for. When I was younger I always spent figuring out who was my next 'best friend'. Something I am sure we have all experienced a time or two letting a friend in, can sometimes leave you burned by them in the end. But all its a learning lesson. We always spend so much time focusing on those few 'best friends' we never take a look to notice that we are surrounded by them.;l

At a time when I had been burned by all my friends I always spent so much time focusing on having 'no friends' but in the end, I realized it was all such a waste of my time and emotion. I would go to work thinking about this everyday and come home feeling the same. A few months later I had a conversation that made me see things totally differently.

I remember my mom's best friend calling one night, I answered and she asked how I was doing. I explained that I had been better and was having a pretty rough time. I don't know what it was but I decided to just spill. I cried and I told my story and got nothing but support in return. After I thought about it a bit and felt a bit better because of our conversation. Then the next day I went to work and one of my co workers said 'oh I am so glad your working today'. Usually I'd just assume that it was because it was so busy they wanted help. Then I thought maybe it wasn't, maybe they enjoyed my company. I may not hang out with these people everyday, they may not know everything about my life. They do however say hello to me everyday and ask me how I am. Why aren't they my friends? I always looked at it as I lost my friends, but what about all of them? The people that take an interest in my everyday life.

We spend so much time focusing on who is closer with which friend, or how often they call you. Friendship was never defined as "people you have to tell everything about yourself to", or search for who will be your best friend. I'm not saying that's wrong or right. I am just saying it's not always all about that.

Today we spent the day with a friend of my moms. She spent the entire time listening to my radio show, along with another one of my moms friends who texted me during my entire show telling me she was tuning in. I never asked them to, nor did they have to, but they did. They show so much interest in my life why did I feel so alone before.

In all honesty, when we die do we really look back and count out how many friends we had? How many we were really close with and how many we weren't? Friendship isn't defined by how many secrets they know, or how many times they call you a day. If somebody cares enough to ask you how you are, they are important too.

My point is, finding friendship in smaller places can make everyone feel so much less alone. Everyone loves a bit of positivity in their lives, finding it in the smallest places can lead to happiness in a way you never saw before.

I hope this blog has given you some inspiration to look at the person at work on Monday that says 'how are you' take the minute to appreciate them as taking the time to care and return the favour.

Welterusten,

No comments:

Post a Comment